DSA were appointed to convert and extend an existing Grade II listed building to provide modern family living accommodation. Following a fire in 1912 the Folly had been rebuilt; the subsequent poor quality, sprawling extensions however meant the original building form had been masked over.
Together with restoring the folly, the scheme removed the extensions, replacing them with a more rationalised and subservient solution that allows the original tower to be unveiled. The extension primarily forms a single storey structure wrapping around the folly, extending to link with existing out buildings on the site, and discreetly incorporating a small two-storey element to southern corner. This approach allowed the verticality of the building to be expressed once again.
The extension maximises the outstanding views available across the adjacent Usk and Severn valley’s, whilst simultaneously linking together the disparate buildings on the site. The contemporary nature of the design and the use of modern materials clearly highlights the differentiation between the old and the new.