The leading independent girl's school Howell’s School, Llandaff occupy a grade II* listed building constructed in 1958-9 with funding from the Draper’s Company to benefit orphan girls through education. The continental late gothic style building comprises an entrance wing with small a quadrangle and east wing. A later wing was added in 1899, featuring a Great Hall lined with wood panelling, a decorative ceiling and contemporary murals depicting scenes from Shakespeare’s plays.
Davies Sutton Architects have been appointed by the school to restore both the exterior and interior of the building. Working closely with the school, work was meticulously planned to have minimal disruption on the schools operation. The conservation and restoriation of the Great Hall was completed in early 2017 with external enveloping works commencing in 2018.