39 High Street
By 1700 Cowbridge ranked as a centre of fashionable life, important to both the leading families of Glamorgan and lesser squireens. 39 High Street is a property typical of the commercial plots consequently developed along the High Street: late C17th narrow fronted dwellings on 3 floors, allowing space for a shop towards the street with a chamber over, and accommodation extending into the yard behind the house.
By the late C20th the Grade II listed building was in a poor condition though subtle hints of its original grandeur remained within the peculiarly truncated decorative pilasters that book ended the front facade. In conjunction with repairing the exterior generally, its medieval timber roof structure being riddled by Deathwatch beetle, DSA were also appointed to investigate how the appearance of this prime elevation could be improved.
Based on historic records, the proposal for the frontage restored an earlier parapeted facade, existing pilasters were repaired, and a new decorative cornice introduced over. Additional improvements included a new shopfront and windows generally, the latter also including decorative render surrounds.
The completed project recieved a Civic Trust Award in 1995, the commendation recognising the sensitivity of the alterations and the positive impact on the street generally.