The origins of Gilfach-y-Berthog are believed to date back to the medieval period, where, in 1327, it was first referred to under the ownership of Owain ap Gruffydd – the ‘Esquire to the Body of Edward III’. Its current form reflects extensive remodelling in the 17th century, its subsequent development as a farmstead, and a lack of maintenance inherited from previous owners.
A holistic approach of ‘constructive conservation’ has been adopted across the site that is to be used as a family home. This identified the historically important elements for conservation and restoration, including the Grade II* listed house, Grade II listed Cruck Barn and Grade II listed Stable Block. Poor quality structures, such as the Dutch Barn, blockwork barn and brick barn – that currently obscures the house – were highlighted for removal. Furthermore, the addition of high quality, subservient new buildings that answer the requirements of modern day living, have also been sensitively incorporated.