Ty Gwyn Manor
Built in 1906 as the residence of James E Turner, senior partner of E Turner & Sons, the contractors responsible for the construction of the majority of the magnificent Edwardian civic buildings surrounding Cardiff's Cathays Park. Clearly influenced by his work within the civic centre, the grade II listed Jacobethan house is one of Cardiff's most grand. Since its original construction, the house has passed through several ownerships, each of whom altering the building to suit their personal tastes, and the most obvious being the octaganol observatory added by the major ship builder Douglas Reardon-Smith in 1937. Most recently the house was owned by Sir Julian Hodge and utilised as the headquaters of his charitable foundation.
Following its purchase by a prominent local businessman in 2015, DSA were appointed to advise on the repairs, alterations and improvements required to convert this building back into a single house. This included significantly extending the building to accommodate additional dayroom, cinema, gym and 4 car garage. Listed Building and Planning Consent for the contemporary design was received in 2016.
DSA simultaneously explored how the associated curtilage buildings and gardens could be redeveloped to both maximise their value and, to ensure its privacy, be separated from the Main House. Listed Building and Planning Consent was subsequently obtained for a new site entrance, this serving the existing Coach House and Gate Lodge, together with an additional, large new dwelling.